Follow these guidelines to successfully register for the Little Bang! Pitch + Poster Competition!
Thursday, May 12, 2022
Gallagher Hall, UC Davis
The Little Bang! Poster Competition is open to any currently enrolled student at the high school, undergraduate or graduate level and is designed to help you define your business idea and communicate it concisely on a poster. This is an entry-level competition; no business experience is necessary.
The May 2022 competition will award up to eight prizes. Register by noon on May 5, 2022, to compete!
- Participation and Submission Guidelines
The UC Davis Institute for Innovation and Entrepreneurship will share all contestant posters publicly on our website prior to the competition. On the night of the competition, you will introduce your poster to other contestant teams and spectators for informal feedback, questions and comments.The deadline to participate is Thursday, May 5, 2022 at noon.
All participants and spectators will hear each team’s 90-second pitch.
You are required to submit your poster, pitch and 5 customer calls documented on the Customer Call Summary to compete in the Little Bang! competition. You must upload these when registering your team.
- Poster Requirements
Posters must be presented in a 36” by 48” format (portrait or landscape). You are required to include (but are not limited to) the following information:
Business idea (overview): Describe the business in 1–2 sentences. Use a logo, pictures and graphics wherever possible. Succinctly describe what you are doing, who it's for, and how the idea is special.
What (problem and solution): Describe the problem you are solving, and how your business idea will address that problem. Include what you learned from the 5 customer calls you made, and list the names/titles of those you interviewed.
Who / Where (target market): Describe your target market, including the primary users of your product/service and the intended customers (i.e., purchasing decision makers).
How (differentiation): Describe what sets your business idea apart. If someone is already providing a similar product/service, how is your solution better or different?
- Poster Submission Guidelines
You must submit a PDF of your poster when you register for the competition. This will be posted to our website prior to the competition.
You must also submit a printed poster that will be on display during the competition. You may submit your poster [as a Press-Ready (high-resolution) PDF] in accord with the following guidelines and deadlines to have it printed free of charge for the competition.
How to submit your poster to UC Davis Reprographics for printing:
* Submit your poster directly to UC Davis Reprographics by Thursday, May 5, 2022 at noon.
* Go to UC Davis Reprographics https://reprographics.ucdavis.edu/large-format/order
* Enter Contact Information:
– Enter your name and contact information.
– Enter “Little Bang! Poster Competition” under the recharge number
– Enter “Pickup at Hoagland Hall”
* Enter Project Information:
– Title of Project: Little Bang! May 2022 <enter your team name>
– Expected Delivery Date: No later than May 11, 2022
– Number of Large Format Files: 1
– Number of copies: 1
– Poster size: 36x48
– Type of material: Presentation Bond
– Lamination Options: None
– Mounting options: None (poster boards are provided the night of the competition)
– Finishing Options: None
UC Davis Reprographics will notify you when your poster is ready for pick up in the Hoagland Hall.
You are solely responsible for submitting your poster to Reprographics, picking it up and bringing it to Gallaher Hall on May 12, 2022.
- Pitch Requirement
Prepare a 90-second pitch to spectators and judges, which you will deliver as you present your poster in the competition.
- Customer Call Requirements
As you prepare for the Little Bang! Pitch + Poster Competition, use the Customer Call Summary Template (link above on this page). Ask questions of at least 5 people (potential customers) to test whether you are working on the right problem and making accurate assumptions regarding your business idea.
If you competed in the January 2022 Little Bang! competition, talk to at least 5 additional people.
You are required to integrate this information into your poster, and submit your completed Customer Call Summary when you register your team by the May 5, 2022, noon deadline.
- Rules and Regulations
* All contestants must adhere to all participation and submission guidelines and deadlines.
* Ideas submitted as part of a team's new business venture must represent team members' original work.
* Each team may submit only one new business venture. Each submission should consist of a 90-second pitch, a Customer Call Summary, and a 36” x 48” poster emailed and submitted to UC Davis Reprographics.
* You may be a member of only one team. Teams may be as small as one person; there is no maximum number of team members. Typical team size is between one and four members.
* UC Davis reserves the right to disqualify, in its sole and absolute discretion, any team from the competition at any time for any reason. Reasons for disqualification may include but are not limited to plagiarism and any other form of academic dishonesty, misappropriation or infringement of the intellectual property of others, and/or any failure to comply with these rules and regulations. Disqualified teams shall forfeit any and all prizes awarded to them.
* We award prize money to a designated team member and not the business entity. Your team is responsible for dividing prize money among team members. It is not mandatory for the award money to seed the startup. The Mike and Renee Child Institute for Innovation and Entrepreneurship is not responsible for dividing the funds and cannot provide instruction regarding the funds after they distributed.
* Teams may not compete if the new venture has already received funding from any outside sources (i.e., angel investors, venture capital, prize money from other competitions, etc.) totaling more than $5,000 by the start of the Fall Quarter 2021.
* Prize winners in this May 2022 Little Bang! competition must agree to the following to receive their award:
– Write a one-page (minimum 500-word) blog post establishing milestones for developing their business idea and reflecting on lessons learned participating in Little Bang!
– Submit a selfie with their award certificate.
– Complete an awardee payout form.
– Add their project to Startup Tree.